Welcome to Phases of the Moonblossom! I'm an artist, painter, and sign maker.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Painting Eric Clapton's Fool Guitar - Phase Two

Okay, some more of the drawing phase.  Fine tuning the loose sketch......

The flames would be more fun if I could render them freestyle, but I'm trying to stay close to the original so it's a bit painstaking.


The locations of the holes for the volume and tone controls, and the locations of the pickups seem to be a bit different on this guitar than the original.  I think I better ask Bruce for the hardware to trace it properly.  I need to know more precisely where the painting will be covered up.


My client, Bruce Diamond, supplied me with a great book for reference.  Classic Guitars of the 60s edited by Tony Bacon has a picture of The Fool guitar on the front cover and a nice larger photo on the inside.  Many other really unique guitars are in this book.  Fun to read.

"Classic Guitars of the 60s" edited by Tony Bacon

The angel is holding a triangle. 

 

 Bruce doesn't like how the psychedelic rainbow doesn't end at the point of the guitar so I'm extending it to the point. The rainbow on the original follows a weird, irregular pattern that kind of bugs me so I'm making the rainbow flow more symmetrically.  Artistic license.


 Okay, this time I promise I will start painting.  All the mapping out of the drawing is done.  (Except for the pickguard which I will paint last.  I still need to fine tune the drawing of the landscape.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment